Heading Logo


Man escapes house fire with neighbors' help

By MALCOLM HALL GateHouse Ohio Media Published: August 3, 2017 12:00 AM

A man, with the help of neighbors, escaped a fire the morning of July 25, which broke out inside his two-story home at 401 Valley St.

"He was home and the neighbors threw a ladder on the back of his house, and helped him out prior to our arrival," said Chief Aaron Stoller of the Sandy Creek Joint Fire Department. "He felt he couldn't come downstairs and go out on the first floor."

Firefighters responded to the blaze at about 12:30 a.m.. The house is owned by David Mumma, according to Carroll County real estate records. The property is in the portion of Minerva that falls in Carroll County. Stoller identified the man who was inside the house as Mumma. He was not injured.

The fire started on the first floor in the kitchen area. However, Stoller suspects the fire was not started by unattended cooking at the stove.

"I think it is going to be a piece of equipment that malfunctioned," the fire chief said. "I couldn't pinpoint it down, but it resembled a fan."

Damage is estimated at $25,000.


Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.